Kardinya is a suburb located 13 kilometres south-southwest of the central business district of Perth. It is in the City of Melville local government area.
The area is predominantly a low-density residential suburb consisting of single, family detached homes. There is a commercial area in the centre of the suburb, with a shopping centre and several other shops.
Prior to European settlement, the area was inhabited by the Beeliar group of the Whadjuk Noongar people.
Kardinya did not attract any interest from Europeans when the Swan River Colony was founded in 1829, as it was far away from any river and was not fertile. European use of Kardinya began in 1870, when fourteen lots were allocated to Pensioner Guards. These lots were used for piggeries, poultry farms and vineyards. In 1904, the a large amount of land in the area was set aside as endowment land for the University of Western Australia.
In the 1920s, this land started to be used as a pine plantation, known as the Applecross Pine Plantation, and, after 1947, the Somerville Pine Plantation. The suburb was formally gazetted on 16 June 1961. From 1967 to the early 1980s, suburban development occurred in Kardinya.
Current amenities in Kardinya include Kardinya Primary School, North Lake Senior Campus, Kardinya Park Shopping Centre, and Morris Buzacott Reserve, which is home to several sports clubs.
The suburb is bounded by South Street and North Lake Road.
Transperth bus services operate, most feeding into Murdoch railway station on the Perth-Mandurah railway line.
Local Council: City of Melville